Blackjack is by far the most celebrated online card game. But finding reputable blackjack casinos online can be quite a trick.
Every online casino offers this game, but some are better than others.
I want you to have all the information and tips you need to enjoy playing blackjack online in the United States.
This post will give you all the pointers you need to play successfully and enjoy online blackjack games.
Here are some tips for finding reputable blackjack casinos online:
Legal Online Blackjack versus Offshore Blackjack Casinos
No federal laws officially ban online blackjack in the United States. This can be confusing when you are trying to find an online casino to play blackjack.
But do not be discouraged.
While the number of states that “officially” allow online blackjack is limited, 3 states have officially legalized online blackjack.
These states have regulated and licensed online blackjack as of the date of this post:
- New Jersey
Each of these states has brick and mortar operations as well as online blackjack sites. Any casino that is based out of any of these states will be a reputable blackjack casino online.
Here are some examples for each state of online casinos that are legal to play blackjack and are licensed:
Reputable Blackjack Casinos Online in New Jersey
- Golden Nugget
- 888 Casino
- Party Casino
Reputable Blackjack Casinos Online in Delaware
- Harrington Racing and Casino
- Casino at Delaware Park
Reputable Blackjack Casinos Online in Pennsylvania
- Parx Casino
- Penn National
Things get trickier when you live in states which haven’t legalized online casinos.
Players in those states must deal with offshore casinos.
Some offshore casinos have great reputations and some have terrible reputations. I always recommend that gamblers visit some gambler forums to investigate reputations.
Common Problems at Online Blackjack Casinos
Let’s look at the common problems of playing online blackjack at casinos.
One big concern you may have is this one:
“Are the games fair?”
That is a common question most new online blackjack players have. I wouldn’t sit down at a private game if I felt one of the players is going to have an unfair advantage to reduce my odds of winning.
Online casinos are businesses regulated by their residing governments. Just like the Vegas casinos, their ultimate goal is to make money. They can’t do this if they are ripping me off and rigging the games.
They want me to keep coming back to play blackjack: just like in-person casinos.
And they have the same blackjack odds as the casinos in Vegas.
The games offered at the legal online casinos are fair and can be trusted.
Remember, the game of blackjack is you vs. the dealer — or in this case you vs. the website.
In-person casino blackjack is a game of both luck and skill.
The Game Is the Same
Online casino blackjack is the same game.
The randomness of digital card play and in-person deals are the same and well regulated.
I suggest doing business only with reputable blackjack casinos online.
Do your own research into the best legal online blackjack sites.
For those of you who don’t live in a state that has legalized online gambling, let’s talk about offshore online casinos.
The most common problem with offshore blackjack casinos is getting your money out when you’ve won. Some casinos delay payments or make it hard to get your money.
Reputable offshore online blackjack sites are regulated by outside companies to ensure transparency. Read reviews and do your research.
I wouldn’t buy a car from a random dealership without research, would you?
I always stick to the rule of researching my choices before spending money. You get what you pay for.
How Online Blackjack Games Really Work
I cannot stress enough that online blackjack casinos are not in the business of cheating to make money.
Most online blackjack casinos use gambling software that is developed by an outside company. Some of the industry-leaders include Microgaming, Cryptologic, Playtech, Aristocrat, and Evolution Gaming.
Read up on reviews, ratings, and player feedback.
There are 2 different types of online blackjack:
- Live dealer blackjack uses a human dealer, real cards, and a real blackjack table. They have live HD video streaming. Players are connected to the dealer and view every hand being dealt in real-time. I like that they offer multiple camera angles so that I can zoom in to get the live-action effect I get at an in-person blackjack casino. I also can chat with the dealer during the game because they are on a microphone. Live dealer blackjack is one of my favorites because it is as close as I can get to being in a casino and not leaving home.
- Virtual dealer blackjack is all automated by a software program. Instead of playing against a real dealer and being able to interact with a human, you’re playing a computer program. These games are just as fair as in-person online blackjack games. You will still play with other live humans at the table, but the game and dealer are a program. The advantage is you can play any time of day in the comfort of your home and even in your pjs if you want.
The Casinos on this Site Have Been Vetted
I want to talk about the trustworthiness of the casinos we suggest on this site. We only recommend reputable blackjack casinos online. We want you to have the best online blackjack card playing experience. Please know that we have your best interest in mind when we make the recommendations.
But No Matter How Reputable the Online Casino Is, You Can’t Get an Edge
You can also call the house edge the casino advantage. This is something that exists on every table game. No matter if it’s a casino online or on land, the game has a built-in mathematical edge for the casino called the house edge.
The house edge is determined by the game rules and the payouts, not by individuals. It’s the same no matter where you play, but it varies by type of game you play.
The Game Has an Edge
- American roulette has a relatively high house edge of 5.26%, except for one bet, which has a 7.89% edge. European roulette, on the other hand, has a house edge of 2.70%.
- Baccarat has a low house edge if you stick with the banker bet. The edge for that bet is only 1.06%. The player bet has a house edge of 1.24%. If you’re a sucker for punishment, you can also take the tie bet, but the house edge for that bet is over 14%.
- The house edge in craps varies based on which bets you’re placing. The odds bet has a house edge of 0%, but it’s exceptional in multiple ways. The basic bets have a house edge of 1.41%, and some of the more exotic bets have a house edge of 16%+.
Don’t be surprised if you lose money playing online blackjack casinos. As I mentioned before, blackjack is the same game no matter where you play.
Blackjack relies (in part) on a player’s knowledge of how to play the hand. In fact, that’s as important as the luck of the cards being dealt.
The 0.5% house edge is an indication of the player playing the round of blackjack perfectly using the standard rules and basic strategy.
If you have no idea how to play blackjack whatsoever, then it would be more likely that the house edge would increase a little.
As I mentioned before, blackjack is the same game no matter where you play. This is a game of luck and skill.
You Can’t Count Cards Online, Either
Counting cards only works because you understand which cards have come out of the deck and how that affects the composition of the cards left in the deck. Online blackjack is a totally different animal altogether. Casinos randomize 6-8 decks of cards by shuffling after every hand.
You can’t count cards online. Online casinos shuffle the cards every hand.
That’s my advice on how to find reputable blackjack casinos online.
If you have some ideas or experiences about dealing with blackjack casinos on the internet, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.